MOOCs, or Massive Open Online Courses, have taken the elearning world by storm.
EdX's experts, who in a way are leading the path, analyze some pitfalls they are finding along the way, and give some advice.
In my view, it is fair price to pay when you are pioneering such a disruptive technology.
- Have a rerun plan, revise your lecture recordings after your get feedback from MOOC students.
- Expell from the course antisocial students.
- Consider delegating and recruit forum monitors, since forums are critical to the student experience. The cross-cultural, cross-time-zone reach of MOOCs is too time-consuming to keep up.
- Test the technology to prevent failures and fix logic bugs.
- Avoid creating long MOOCs and split them.
Read all the conclussions here.